QatarEnergy progresses North Field South Project with award of new EPC contract

Gas

QatarEnergy has awarded Técnicas Reunidas additional Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) work for the North Field South Project (NFS), worth around US$560mn 

Técnicas Reunidas is currently executing the EPC works for the expansion of the condensate, LPG, and MEG storage, distribution, and associated facilities for the North Field Expansion Project. Tecnicas Reunidas is also executing the EPC works for the sulfur handling facility for the North Field Expansion Project in a joint venture with Wison Engineering Ltd.

The new scope includes the engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning of a range of off–plot facilities. These include the LNG rundown lines, boil-off gas (BOG) recovery and utility pipelines that will connect the southern part of Ras Laffan Industrial City to new storage tanks and export facilities in RLIC. The scope of the project also includes the commissioning of LNG tanks, an LNG loading berth, BOG compressors, and associated equipment.

The North Field, located northeast of the Qatar peninsula, is the largest non-associated natural gas field in the world. As a result, Qatar has the third largest proven reserves in the world, estimated at 10% of the world’s known natural gas reserves. 

NFS, together with the North Field East (NFE) project, will increase Qatar’s LNG production capacity from the current 77 MTPA to 126 MTPA. QatarEnergy holds a 75% interest in the NFS project and has already signed partnership agreements with TotalEnergies, Shell, and ConocoPhillips for the remaining 25%. In May, QatarEnergy has awarded an EPC contract for the NFS project worth around US$10bn to a joint venture of Technip Energies and Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC).

The contract comprises two LNG mega trains with a combined capacity of 16 mn tons per annum (MTPA), with associated facilities.