twitter linkedinfacebookacp contact us

SLB and Aker Carbon Capture finalise joint venture

The joint venture aims to accelerate carbon capture for industrial decarbonisation at scale. (Image source: Adobe Stock)

SLB and Aker Carbon Capture have announced the closing of their joint venture designed to accelerate carbon capture adoption

The new company will combine ACC’s amine-based Advanced Carbon Capture technologies, including Just Catch and Big Catch modular plant technologies for medium- and large-scale facilities, and Just Catch Offshore for offshore gas turbines, with SLB’s portfolio of technology solutions, including non-aqueous solvent and emerging sorbent-based offerings. The company, of which SLB owns 80% with ACC ASA owning the remaining 20%, currently has seven technology installations in progress with the capacity to capture up to 1 million tonnes of CO2 emissions per year.

“There is no credible pathway toward net zero without deploying carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) at scale,” said Gavin Rennick, president of SLB’s New Energy business. “In the next few decades, many industries that are crucial to our modern world must rapidly adopt CCS to decarbonise. Through the joint venture, we are excited to accelerate disruptive carbon capture technologies globally.”

“There is no business as usual in the push toward net zero – we will accelerate decarbonisation today and commercialise innovative technologies for the future,” said Egil Fagerland, newly appointed chief executive officer of the new joint venture.

“We are proud of the carbon capture plants we are delivering across various industries, with each customer being an important front-runner in its segment. Successful project deliveries are paving the way for other emitters to follow.”